Sunday, April 17, 2005

Weaving Rates

I wove for a little over an hour this morning and now have about 33 inches of the scarf done. This morning, without interruptions, I managed to weave about 12 inches per hour, or about 280 picks. This is with a two-shuttle fabric, so I expect it to be a little slower than if I were weaving with one shuttle.

This is the first time I've used the Mighty Wolf loom and there isn't as much room between the beater and the breast beam as there is on my big floor loom and my rhythm isn't as good because it's harder for me to get the shuttle out of the way before beating. The sheds I'm getting aren't always great - I may need to get under the loom after this project is off and adjust the tie-up cords so the sheds are more consistent. I'm also having a little problem with the yarn sticking once in a while when I throw the shuttle, so I'm a little hesitant when I throw. I'm sure all of this is slowing me down. But, in any case, I'll need a little more than 3-1/2 more hours to finish the scarf, not counting the final hemstitching and fringe twisting.

No comments: