Sunday, September 03, 2006

Towel #5 - 8-Shaft Textured Waffle Weave

This was my favorite weave structure of the 13 we did in class. It is called an 8-shaft textured waffle weave. I can't find this draft in any of the standard references that I have, although it might be called something else in those books. It is threaded with two point twills pointing at each other: it has a 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 section followed by an 8-7-6-5-6-7-8 section. It has a similar, but not identical treadling and a fairly complex tie-up. It makes a beautiful cloth with the small criss-crossing ridges. It doesn't exactly "waffle" like a normal waffle weave because the cell borders overlap but it makes a gorgeous fabric. I think it would look great in a scarf and I think I'm going to have one on the loom in the very near future. This, like most of the towels in this grouping, was woven with 8/2 cotton sett at 20 epi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favourite too - very nice.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this site. I have been having problem with weaving a crepe design on 8 shafts. When I started weaving this design. I only found out today after battling for weeks already to get the lines out that it is weaving. That it is the way that it must be drawn through the shafts that is causing the lines. I am now going to put the drawing in like you have got it. Will let you know how it works. Thank you very much.

Tickey