Saturday, February 28, 2009

Towels Off Loom

The six towels (and a towelette from extra warp) are off the loom. Here are pictures of them, some from the "front" and some from the "back:"


And, here's a close-up picture of one of them:


I was happy with them as they came off the loom, but when I washed them I got a lot of tracking and the patterns became quite muddled. You can still see them from a distance, but up close, the pattern gets lost. Quite a disappointment. I used a combination of cotlin and 8/2 unmercerized cotton from a mill-end batch. Next time I may try mercerized cotton for the colored yarn, although I'm not sure which of the yarns caused the problem. Maybe next time I won't do six towels before I see how they wash.

3 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Congrats on getting your towels off the loom!

Sorry that you're not happy with the results. I hate when that happens to me!!

Tracking is another of those mysteries of weaving that I don't know how to solve.

The towels look great in the pictures....so maybe when you look at them later you'll like them!

Sue

Kim said...

I think you need to send them away, where your eyes won't be able to see them... send them.... to ME! They sure look fine to me. But then tracking is something I actually like, call me strange. Altogether, altruistic, really.

Annie MacHale said...

A beautiful pattern!